Everything You Need to Know About Granite Tiles in the Philippines
Everything You Need to Know About Granite Tiles in the Philippines
When it comes to interior home design, nothing is harder than choosing the perfect tiles. There’s ceramic, marble, wood look, porcelain, slate, and granite tiles in the Philippines, and because of the many options available, it’s hard to know where to start. Often, people forget to do their research and end up using tiles that neither looks or feels good nor lasts a long time.
It’s such a shame, too, because a home’s interior can drastically transform with the right type of tile. While we can give you some tips on how to choose the right tiles like considering your home’s layout and style, that’s not really what we’re set to do.
Instead, we’ll be telling you everything you need to know about granite tiles in the Philippines. Granite tiles are a popular choice for both new and old homeowners who are decorating their homes. Most of this is because it produces impressions of elegance and quality, but there are many other reasons which we will divulge later on.
You might be curious as to why we choose to discuss granite tiles out of the many types available. Well, granite has been used for a thousand years in many industries. It has been proven useful in a variety of ways, but one of its best applications is for improving the home’s interior we made this just to prove this to you!
Quick Facts about Granite
Before we discuss granite tiles in the Philippines, we’ll first have a look into granite as an overall material. These quick facts should help you understand why granite is such a valuable material in many industries.
Granite is an igneous rock that is formed from volcanic activity. It comes from molten rocks that have crystallized for over millions of years deep below the surface with heat and pressure. Due to the way it is formed, the minerals in the stone—quartz, mica, and feldspar—are mixed up in imperfect layers, making for a stronger stone.
In fact, granite is one of the hardest substances in the world and is second to only diamond in this regard. The inherent hardness that granite possesses makes it highly durable and allows it to stay intact for longer periods of time. This also separates granite from other stone types that crumble and break over time.
While predominantly pink, gray, or white in color, granite can also be found in a range of deep reds, gold, green, blue, and black. Color varies dramatically like due to the variety of minerals that make it up. Moreover, since it is a natural stone, no two granite slabs are ever identical. What all this means is that it is not only durable, it is also aesthetically pleasing.
Because of these two properties, granite is one of the most desired materials for many applications like public sculptures, fountains, and outdoor stone pieces. Not only that, it is also the perfect tile material for your home’s interior!
The Many Uses of Granite at Home
It is important for every homeowner to know how they can use granite tiles in the Philippines, so we’ll be listing it’s many uses at home below:
- Countertop or Island – The most popular use of granite at home is in the kitchen as a countertop or island. Granite is a great choice for this because it is strong, resistant to heat and water, sanitary, and easy to clean. Whether you have a small or large kitchen, these granite countertops and islands are sure to make a statement. And since it’s available in many colors, it can easily match the kitchen décor.
- Backsplash – Mixing your granite countertops with a granite backsplash helps you achieve more visual continuity. Of course, it has more point than just the aesthetics. Using granite as a backsplash also creates a great barrier between substances such as water and grease and the wall.
- Vanity Top – The bathroom is often the most used and abused room of the home, which is why a bath vanity top made of granite is the most ideal. Its durability and natural resistance to mold, water, and bacteria allows it to endure the rigors of the bathroom. Not only is it guaranteed to last long, it also brings a sense of elegance and class and looks great in all bathroom types and sizes.
- Basin or Sink in the Bathroom – Just like how a granite countertop and backsplash makes visual continuity, so does a granite vanity top and basin or sink. You don’t need both, however; one or the other is enough. Using granite tiles for your Philippine bathroom sinks or basins offers the same features as a granite vanity top – easy to clean, resistant to mold ad bacteria, and durable.
- Desktop or Tabletop – Granite is also used for formal rooms like office spaces and dining rooms because of its strength, durability, and elegance. These qualities offer both function and style that most homeowners desire.
- Fireplace Mantle – A well-crafted mantle made of granite makes for the perfect centerpiece. It has the ability to turn even the most boring and plain fireplace into a majestic focal point. Not to mention, you also get a lot of benefits from it.
- Mosaic – Sometimes granite is used for decorative reasons instead of functional ones, and that’s the case with granite mosaics. It’s already been said that granite exudes an essence of class and elegance and this is further heightened when they’re used to make breathtaking mosaics.
- Floor Tile – Last but definitely not least, granite can be used as floor tiles. It can be used inside the house as flooring or outside as inlay around your pool, patio or outdoor kitchen.
Different Types and Finishes of Granite Tiles in the Philippines
After discussing granite and it’s many uses at home, we can move on to the different types and finishes of granite tiles.
Types of Granite Tiles
- Blue Pearl Granite – Blue pearl granite is regarded as the finest granite type of all and carries a special appeal. It has a colored and silver polished surface and offers a unique, elegant, and rich look.
- Stark Black Granite – As the name suggests, this granite type is stark black and perfect to use for kitchen countertops, walls, and floors. If used well, it can create a bright color contrast against the color scheme of your home.
- Golden Garnet Granite – This is a neutral-colored granite that is perfect for lavish homes and looks extremely stylish.
- Crystal White Granite – Crystal white granite is affordable and readily available in the market. It can be used for tough flooring applications because of its durability.
- Uba Tuba Granite – Because of its luscious green color, this granite type makes for the perfect choice for walls, floors, and countertops. Its aesthetic appeal is further increased when merged with other colors.
- Tropical Brown Granite – The tropical brown granite, despites its subtlety, is rich in both texture and color and can be paired well with various finishes like metal, wood, and ceramic.
- Tourmaline Granite – Compared to other granite types, tourmaline granite is comparatively soft which means it is not suitable for high-traffic regions in your home. To make up for its softness, it comes in a wide range of color patterns.
- Biotite Granite – Biotite granite is the hardest of all granite types and it is perfect for indoor and outdoor use. It also comes in multiple shades, so it should go well with different color schemes.
Finishes of Granite Tiles
- Polished Granite – Polished granite is one of the most popular choices for kitchen tile designs in the Philippines because of its glossy and mirror-like shine that allows it to properly reflect light, which draws attention to the stone. It adds richness and elegance to any space, so it is the perfect element for turning your kitchen islands to a stunning focal point. Aside from this, it may also be used as flooring in formal rooms in order to elevate the richness of the décor. It is best paired with metal accents, white cabinetry, and a tiled backsplash for a classic look.
- Honed Granite – As opposed to the glossy polished granite, honed granite presents a buffed or matte appearance. It lacks the degree of reflection that polished granite has, but that doesn’t make it any less exquisite. Granite tiles that have a honed finish can provide a good work surface and also works as a great flooring surface because it barely shows evidence of wearing and traffic patterns. So if you intend to adapt a slightly muted appearance, then honed granite is the perfect choice for you.
- Flamed Granite – Flamed granite gets its name from the way it’s made. It is heated under the highest of temperatures and the high heat causes the individual grains in the stone to burst and change color. The whole process leads to a stone that has a rougher texture but more natural and faded appearance. Flamed granite is more suitable for areas that are prone to dampness and is often used in exterior living spaces. However, there is no limit to the use of this material. The rustic beauty of flamed granite can also be utilized in your shower floor and in any room of your home.
Tips on Choosing Granite Tiles in the Philippines
By now, you’re probably thinking of fitting your home with a few granite tiles and centerpieces but have no idea how to choose the right ones. Well, worry not because we’ll give you some tips on choosing the best granite tiles for your home.
- Consider the location – The first thing you have to take into consideration is the area in which you wish to have the tiles installed.
- Choose the finish – We’ve already listed the different granite finishes available and the different appeal that they have, so all you have to do is choose the best one for your intended use.
- Choose the right color – Since granite tiles come in a wide variety of colors, picking one out will be difficult. All you have to keep in mind, however, is the overall design scheme that you are going for.
- Check the thickness – Thicker tiles may be stronger but they are also heavier and more expensive, so they’re not always the best for everyone. Standard size for granite flooring is 3/8 of an inch but you can find tiles that are ½ or even ¾ inch thick. In order to make the best decision, look at different tiles and consider their weight, price, and thickness and choose the one that personally makes the most sense for you.
- Note the size, shape, and pattern – Aside from the many different colors, types, thickness, and finishes available, these tiles can also be found in a wide range of size, shape, and pattern.
- Test samples – Before making your decision, it is wise to purchase a few granite samples and test them around your home. Stand on them, lay them down and gauge how they’ll fit in with the overall design of your home, and rub some objects over the surface to test its durability. Doing this will make you feel better about your final choice and ensures that you get a granite tile that fits all your needs.
- Ask the professionals – The best tip we can give you is to enlist the help of professionals. It’s easy to be overwhelmed with the many granite tiles in the Philippines, so consider getting some advice from experts who have years of experience in home design and tile installation.
Pros and Cons of Granite Flooring
Here are the pros and cons of using granite tiles in the Philippines for the flooring of your home. First the pros:
- Durable – It’s already been said that granite is one of the hardest substances on Earth, so there’s no need to question its durability. Granite tiles are without a doubt the most durable flooring available.
- Aesthetics – Granite tiles offer a specific sense of appeal and sophistication that can’t be obtained from other tile types. Laying down granite tiles for your floors is sure to transform any room and make it all the more attractive.
- Versatile – Since it comes in various colors and designs, it can be used virtually anywhere in the house. From the dining room, living room, and bathroom to the patio, pool area, and outdoor kitchen, you’re sure to find a granite tile that will suit your style and taste.
- Long-Lasting – Once you install granite tiles in your home, you can guarantee they will be there for a lifetime. Besides being durable, granite tiles also possess several other properties that allow it to withstand harsh use and conditions. As an example, granite tiles are resistant to mold, bacteria, heat, and water.
- Low-Maintenance – One of the best things about granite tiles is the fact that they are so easy to maintain. With all the benefits you get from them, you’d think they’d at least be difficult to maintain, but a simple sweeping and mopping is enough to maintain their pristine condition.
Now the cons:
- Difficult to install – While the tiles themselves are inexpensive, the complex and difficult installation can cost a hefty sum. You will most certainly need the expertise of a professional for this and DIY installation is beyond impossible. Unless of course you can ensure that the floor is perfectly level and can bear the heavy weight of the granite tiles. You also have to be able to cut it perfectly and ensure that it doesn’t break during the process.
- Cold – Granite tiles can’t conduct heat well because of its thickness and density, which means your floors will be cold to the touch. You can opt to install an underfloor heating system to solve this, but that is an expensive option.
- Slippery – Having slippery tiles may not be advisable especially when you have very young and very old family members. It may lead to several accidents, especially when the floor is wet with water or other fluids.
Maintenance of Granite Floors
Since we’ve already mentioned that one of the benefits of granite floors is that they’re easy to clean, we might as well teach you how to take proper care of your granite floors.
- Inspect edges and grout – When tiles are laid in an uneven spot, it usually prompts them to crumble and break. If you spot anything like this, immediately have the tile replaced so it doesn’t lead to bigger cracks and breaks.
- Immediately wipe spills – Immediately wipe off or remove anything that gets on the floor whether its food, drinks, dirt, mud, or rocks. Doing this will prevent stains and scratches on the surface of the tiles.
- Regular dry-mopping – Prevent dust and small particles from accumulating on the tiles by running a dry-mop or duster over them at least once a day.
- Use approved granite cleaners – Abrasive cleaners, bleach, and other detergents may cause discoloration on your tiles, so just stick to recommended granite cleaners.
Get Your Tiles from Floor Center
If you’re looking for granite tiles in the Philippines, don’t hesitate to make your purchase with Floor Center. They are the leading tile provider in the country and have been in operation since 1997. They are known to deliver results and exceed expectations as their top priority is to fulfill the people’s need for trendy tiles that are of superb quality.
Floor Center’s tile line is immensely diverse and all imported. Their products come in an astonishing array of colors, finishes, and sizes, so you’re sure to get your fill no matter what kind of tile you’re looking for. Whether you’re looking for tiles for your home or office, you’re guaranteed to go home with the best ones.
You can only find this kind of passion in Floor Center as they take great pride in their product and services. So the next time you’re in the market for high-quality and reasonably priced tiles, make sure to check out Floor Center—all it takes is one click here!