In the Philippines, homogenous tiles are the favorites when it comes to flooring options. Business owners and homeowners choose this type of porcelain tile because of how versatile it can be. Those who choose homogeneous tiles are afforded a variety of options when it comes to their design while also getting a very durable product.
Homogeneous tiles, a type of porcelain tiles, have made their mark as one of the most used types of flooring in the Philippines. The reason for this is that their pros completely outweigh their cons. To help you understand more about homogeneous tiles, this guide will outline the basic knowledge you need to know about them.
What are Homogeneous Tiles?
Tiles are the most basic form of flooring in the Philippines. Homogeneous tiles, or full body porcelain, are a type of ceramic tiles composed of fine porcelain clays that was heated at a much higher temperature than a normal ceramic tile. The process that they undergo makes them denser and harder than ceramic tiles. It also makes the tiles less likely to absorb moisture and stains.
Homogeneous tiles have a consistent composition throughout their entire body. Because of this, homogeneous tiles are recommended for both indoor and outdoor use. Their density and rigidity, however, make it harder to cut and design.
What are Advantages and Disadvantages of Using Homogeneous Tiles?
Homogeneous tiles may be an almost overall better version of ceramic tiles, however, they are not without their pros and cons. In the Philippines, homogeneous tiles are highly recommended because of numerous factors such as the temperature in an area and the traffic on that particular floor area. To further understand what a homogeneous tile is, here is a list of its pros and cons:
Advantages of Homogenous Tiles:
- HardnessHomogeneous tiles being very dense in composition makes them very resistant to physical marks. This is also the reason why they can last longer and be in better form than your standard ceramic tile. Their strength is due to them having fewer air pockets or tiny air bubbles inside their composition. Their denser, more uniform construction makes them harder and thicker compared to other tiles. The structure of homogeneous tiles makes them very resistant to water and prevents them from being affected by changes in temperature. For this reason, homogeneous is the most commonly used tile in Philippine bathrooms.Homogeneous tiles in the Philippines are known to last for more than decades. This reason alone makes them highly preferred by business establishments.
- DesignAs a type of porcelain, homogeneous tiles, particularly in the Philippines are made from high-quality materials and brought together into a unique piece of art. Along with its amazing durability, porcelain tiles have a very appealing visual compared to most ceramic tiles. In the Philippines, tile design is something intrinsic. Homogeneous tiles, along with all other types of porcelain tiles, have many styles and appearances that will surely make you feel satisfied when you choose them.Apart from existing styles and designs that are engraved onto these porcelain tiles, these homogeneous tiles can also be stylized to look like most of the other types of flooring that you want. The diversity of porcelain tiles is admirable. You won’t need to choose one particular style. You can get any appearance that you would like! You have the option to specify how a homogeneous style looks, what color it is, what pattern it has, and how big or small one tile is. Homogeneous tiles in the Philippines can help satisfy the wants and needs of many picky customers.
- Maintenance In the Philippines, homogeneous tiles are somewhat preferred by many people and companies for their flooring because they are very easy to maintain. Just like all porcelain tiles, homogeneous tiles look great; they’re strong and they are very easy to clean. Unlike ceramic tiles, they do not need any kind of sealant to make it water resistant. Their low maintenance makes them the best flooring for places, such as kitchens and bathrooms, where moisture is common. In hindsight, the easiest kind of tile to clean is the homogeneous tile in the Philippines.
- Endurance Porcelain tiles are the best kind of flooring to put in areas where high foot traffic is expected. This is because of its hardness and resistance to breakage even against things, such as the nails of pets. As mentioned above, this is the reason why many business owners and homeowners prefer these kinds of tiles. Homogeneous tiles are used in the Philippines in almost every building because of the high foot traffic that goes through day in and day out.
Disadvantages of Homogenous Tiles:
- Installation The very characteristics that make homogeneous tiles the go-to tiles also mark their downsides. One of which is the difficulty of their installation. All porcelain tiles are heavier because of how dense and compact their compositions are. This makes them very hard to cut, meaning it is quite a challenge to customize and alter them.The heaviness of porcelain tiles also makes them only ideal as flooring for the ground level of your home. If you want to install homogeneous tiles at the second floor of your house, even just for your bathrooms, you would have to make sure that the structure of the building is strong enough to support the added weight of all the tiles. For homogeneous tiles, it is highly recommended for you to have professionals install them in your home because of all the difficulties they could bring.
- Cost Porcelain tiles may be better than most other flooring options; however, they may also be the more expensive choice. Every type of porcelain tiles is at least somewhat more expensive than ceramic tiles. Because of this, budgeting becomes something that needs to be monitored, especially when you plan on using homogeneous tiles.A good thing that can come to mind when choosing to buy homogeneous tiles are the advantages listed above. As mentioned, they are quite durable and easy to maintain. Some would say that the cost of porcelain tiles is worth it because they could last for centuries.
- Cost of Repairs Because of how difficult it is to work with porcelain tiles, repairing them can be just as hard. Most professionals, who deal with homogeneous tiles in the Philippines, ask for a higher price when they’re hired to swap out porcelain tiles. In actuality, the cost of repairing porcelain tiles and repairing other kinds of tiles is slightly comparable.Luckily enough, the durability of porcelain tiles might be enough for you not to need any kind of repairs in the future. All it needs is constant maintenance so that it will last for a very long time.
What are the Other Types of Porcelain Tiles?
Aside from homogeneous tiles, the Philippines has many offers of various types and designs of porcelain tiles for you to choose from.
- Matte or Unglazed Porcelain Tiles These are raw porcelain tiles that are produced in the natural form after the manufacturing process. Once done, no other treatment is required. This process creates tiles that are very dense and chemically resistant. Unglazed porcelain tiles are scratch resistant but are prone to stains. These tiles are available only in a natural or a rusty look. A key difference between unglazed and glazed porcelain tiles, however, is that unglazed tiles are not slippery. Because of this, it is commonly used in areas that have moisture such as bathrooms, showers, and pool sides.
- Glazed Porcelain Tiles Glazed tiles will always have an extra layer applied to them after the manufacturing process. This glaze makes it stronger and more impervious. These porcelain tiles are thinner and less dense than unglazed porcelain tiles. They still have some chemical resistance, which provides more options in terms of color and design.The liquid layer that protects glazed tiles make them resistant to stains, but also makes scratches more visible on it. As mentioned above, glazed porcelain tiles are slippery, which means that it is highly suggested for you to use them for residential purposes only.
- Polished Porcelain Tiles Polished porcelain tiles are basically unglazed tiles that have had their surface polished to achieve a shine without a glaze. This kind of porcelain tile, however, needs to be sealed to avoid attracting stains and becoming brittle when splashed with chlorinated water and acids.
- Double Charged Porcelain Tiles This kind of tile has very low porosity. As such, it is an alternative to marble and granite flooring. It usually has two layers, the top one is smaller, about 3 to 4 millimeters thick, which makes up the design layer; and the bottom part is the main body of porcelain. It is highly frost and water resistant, making it a very good choice for the outdoors.
The Unique Selling Point of Homogeneous Tiles
Putting it all together, homogeneous tiles are best used for specific places and areas. Their versatility in almost every aspect gives those who choose to use it numerous options for its customization.
The durability of homogeneous tiles varies depending on where they will be installed. Some homogeneous tiles are made particularly for residential flooring because of the medium foot traffic it will get, while more durable ones are installed in commercial buildings that expect a large amount of foot traffic, such as malls, plazas, and offices.
Homogeneous tiles are a type of porcelain, which is also a type of ceramic. They are manufactured with fine grain clay and heated in very high temperatures. After this treatment, additional processes can be made to refine their textures and surfaces and even transform their main design. Some homogeneous tiles are additionally rendered with advanced digital printing technology to make them look like other mineral stones.
These tiles are primarily used as floor surfaces, as well as interiors and exterior walls. More durable kinds of homogeneous tiles, particularly in the Philippines, can be used in many commercial projects all over the country. This kind of tile is also very popular in areas expected to get wet such as bathrooms, pool surroundings, and kitchens.
As mentioned above, homogeneous tiles can easily be customized to provide different kinds of patterns. Some of which include a style mimicking hardwood, marble, and a lot of other kinds of decorative patterns that add to its aesthetic value.
Homogeneous tiles are scratch resistant and water resistant. It won’t be easily damaged even if you are hard on your floors. Pets and some of their very hyperactive activities will not be a concern as well. The structure of these tiles makes it very easy to clean as well. Liquids can easily be mopped up and dirt and stains will not stick on its surface. As mentioned above, cleaning homogeneous tiles is not really difficult.
For people who greatly value the materials that they buy and use, especially when it comes to how they impact the environment, they’re in luck because these homogeneous tiles are made from natural materials. Not only are its components very much renewable, homogeneous tiles are made to last for a very long time as well.
Porcelain tiles like homogeneous tiles are offered in various beautiful colors and texture ranges. As homogeneous tiles are denser and are composed of its compacted materials all throughout, if there was a chance that a small chip on the surface happens, it would be barely visible.
The installation of homogeneous tiles, however, is very tedious due to them being very difficult to work with. It will always be recommended that for the installation, professionals should be hired.
Choose FC Floor Center for All Your Homogeneous Tile Needs
If you are set on buying homogeneous tiles for your business or for your home, then the only thing left to do is to look for a place that provides quality products. FC Floor Center will be able to provide you with homogeneous tiles that will surely match what you are looking for.
FC Floor Center is one of the only companies that provide homogeneous tiles in the Philippines. Our products are works of art that will bring a sense of quality and sophistication to your home or business.
For a modern look, a sense of beauty and top-notch quality, choose FC Floor Center for all your ceramic needs!
Learn more about their products by viewing this link!